Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Ten Days Not to Be Forgotten

As I mentioned before, life has been complicated lately.  One of the major complications happened when my sweet Rosie girl had a major health scare that put her in the hospital for ten days.  It was one of the most traumatic things I've been through, and I know it was the worst experience of her young little life.  

It started with a normal cold and continued to get worse.  I noticed during the night that her breathing was very labored and in the morning I took her to the pediatrician.  Well, we never went back home.  They took her by ambulance to Mission Hospital and admitted her.  She somehow had contracted strep pneumonia and her oxygen levels were dangerously low.  After a few days in the hospital, they found that Rosie was improving clinically (temps were more manageable, less lethargic) but her lungs weren't sounding better.  Fluid in the lungs is common with this form of pneumonia and after a second chest x-ray, they found that half of her right lung was full.  They had to perform a surgery that involved using a small camera to clean out the fluid.  They also had to place a chest tube in her to continue to drain the fluid which ended up staying in quite a few days and was really, really painful.  .  There were all kinds of other complications that you probably don't care to hear about.  Let's just say it truly was a devastating ordeal.

God kept me going because there were times when I thought I couldn't take anymore.  God also sent incredible friends and family to help.  There was a point during this situation, that I thought she wasn't going to make it, and my heart broke into a million pieces.  The Lord worked a miracle in her sweet little life and Rosie started to improve slowly.  Even the last day was hit or miss on whether or not she would go home.  She was very dependent on oxygen until the last few hours.  I've never been so happy to leave a place in my whole life.  We had many wonderful physicians and nurses, but there's no place like home.  

Rosie lost quite a bit of weight during the experience.  She also lost all muscle tone.  Her little legs were like sticks!  Seeing her walk again was like a foal learning to walk for the first time.  Coming home was hard, too.  She had residual effects from the hospital stay that her pediatrician warned us about like nightmares, bedwetting and a pretty bad attitude.  That kind of emotional and physical stress is just too much on a little five-year-old's psyche.  It was pretty hard on a 34-year-old's psyche for that matter!  

We are about three weeks out and she is truly as good as new.  She is doing great and you'd never know she had been sick.  I will never forgot God's mercy on our family and I don't think it's something Rosie will soon forget either.   

The day the whole thing started.  This was our first ambulance ride! 

She loved getting cards and balloons from family and friends.  

The Heinrich's sent this bouquet and ballon.  She would take a flower with her every time she had to go to something scary like a chest x-ray or an ultrasound.  

She also loved sweet visitors!  This girl's calls, visits and texts were a world of help! 

The Child Life Specialist had Rosie doing all sorts of art related things to get her moving and her lungs working.  

This was a hard day.  Mark was out of town, and this was in the pre-op area before Rosie went back for surgery.  We were both pretty scared.  I felt so alone, but luckily, my friend Susie came and spent the whole day with me.  I wouldn't have been able to do it without her support.  

This was the hardest thing to see.  The nurses taking my baby back for surgery. 

Kiki was a frequent visitor.  She was also a very eager visitor.  

Post-op Rosie.  She was so tiny and in so much pain.  

The morning after surgery called for popsicles for breakfast and unlimited ipad access:) 

Some evenings, I got to come home while Mark took over.  I would sneak in to see this little princess.  Ten days without your family can be pretty hard.  So thankful for the Stouts, the Wells, the Bunch's and the Mott's for taking such good care of her in our absence. 

In order to get the fluid to continue draining, we had to try and get her out of bed.  This was NO easy task, nor was she remotely interested.  It was DRAMA!  

Standing for a few seconds for the first time.  This was huge, and although it was short, it gave her the confidence to keep pushing for bigger things.   Alex is the nurse in the back and I love her.    Julien was Rosie's Childlife Specialist.  She's holding Rosie' and was completely awesome.  

Maybe a little spoiled.  People brought Rosie the most amazing things.  That was definitely her favorite part about hospital living.  Kiki was not at all happy about all of this attention Rosie got.  

A day of improvement.  Rosie went on a trip to the playroom for a science show in the wagon.  She ended up having a great time, although it was like pulling teeth to convince her to go! 

More sweet visitors!  I can't get over how many friends helped us by visiting, bringing food, texting, calling, etc.  I've never felt so loved.  

Kiki was never so happy to see Rosie.  During this visit, she stood behind her and rubbed her hair or kissed her the whole time!

More hair rubbing:) 

The amount of balloons Rosie had in her room was ridiculous.  Everyone who came in commented on it.  It took three van trips to get them all home.  

The amount of tangles in this kids hair was RIDICULOUS!  

Seeing this smile was worth it all.  I love this girl so much. 

Before she got her chest tube out, Julien came to show her how it was done on her doll they gave her.  Her doll had all of the things she did (a chest tube, an iv, an oxygen mask, etc)

This box full of fun things came from a mom who started a foundation in honor of her daughter who passed away.  It was so special. 

My doctor sent Rosie this HUGE teddy bear.  She LOVES this guy. 

This lady made the drive from Texas with her three-year-old to take care of Kiki for me.  What kind of a friend does that?!!  An amazing one, that's what!  It was so good to have her here.  I just love her! 

More visits from Kiki!  She became a fan of the playroom, too.  Lot's of "doctoring" going on.  

Avie liked visiting, too! 

Doctoring Mr. Bear

After her chest tube came out, she loved getting out on this thing.  It was hard to keep up with her as I pushed the oxygen tank that had to be connected to her at all times.  


There were some silver linings about the hospital.  


I came home one Sabbath and took Kiki to Sabbath School.  She was needing some mommy time and it was so special. 

This is her chest tube wound after a week.  Yikes!  The bandages were covering the hole where the camera went.  

This was the afternoon before we were discharged.  She had to be off of oxygen for 4 hours without d-sating before they would let her go.  We had to find ways to pass the time and she loved driving this tricycle around the peds ward.  

Free AT LAST!  Driving home was the best feeling!  

She even got some cards and gifts after she got home.  This was by far her favorite gift from her friends Bryn and Blythe.  She would hardly take it off!  

Thank you all for your support, prayers, food, cards, calls, texts and love!  We couldn't have done it without you.  This experience has changed me and I hope never to miss up an opportunity to help someone hurting.

No comments: