Monday, January 21, 2013

Blacklisted

We took it very easy today, and it was so nice.  We stayed in our jammies for a lot of the day, did art projects, sang, danced, read books, ate, napped...just had some quality girl time.  It was so nice.  I think we all really needed it.  

Rosie decided that she wanted to "dectorate" for "Balentines", so that's what we did.  The girls had fun coloring with Valentines-ey colors.  I cut hearts out of their drawings and mounted them on scrapbook paper.  When I went to my parents' house in October, I was really excited to find two frames that I had used in my classroom back when I taught.  They are the kind where you can easily switch art work out, so I brought them home and we used them for the first time today! 

My sweet little artist 



I love this little face 



Kiki's Picture

Rosie's Picture 

Our "dectorated" mantle 

I had kept these ginger ale bottles from when Stephen and Michelle came to visit.  The ginger ale was pretty disgusting, but the bottles were so cool.  

My "two minute garland".  How much easier can you get than cutting hearts and hanging them with clothes pins?! 

Today, I was talking to Rosie about Martin Luther King, Jr. and she freaked out on me.  For some reason she got in her head that he was coming to her house.  She wanted nothing to do with him and as much as I tried to tell her how he was all about peace and helping people, she immediately placed him on the same blacklist as Santa.  So now, we can't mention MLK in our home.  Don't get your feelings hurt, MLK, she's scared that Jesus is coming to her house, too.  Sometimes, all you can do is shake your head.

Before I run and watch the Bachelor (my guilty pleasure), I wanted to show you another quick project I did on Sunday.  We bought this sofa table for our entryway eight years ago from Target.  It's been through a lot in those eight years (and 5 moves) and it had the scratches and dents to prove it.  I knew it needed an update, but I wasn't exactly sure what to do.  I finally decided to paint it black and distress it a bit.  
  
Before (I had already started sanding it before I took the picture)

After...It was a very easy way to update an old piece of furniture.  I'm really happy with the results. 







2 comments:

nicole said...

Can you come to my house and teach me how to be a better crafter/mother? Seriously, you're amazing!

Tawny Leste-Carlson said...

Awww that was a sweet compliment to her, Nicole!