Monday, August 23, 2010

Her new...trick

So, Monroe's new "trick" is officially driving me nuts.  She just learned that she can stand up in her crib and she is absolutely delighted with this new skill.  She does it constantly and this has been changing our regular nap schedule considerably.

That which used to be the easiest thing in the world, now takes up to an hour.  I used to be able to lay her in bed, she would grab her blankie and put it over her head and roll over...That easy.  It took two to three seconds.

Now, I lay her down and two seconds later she is standing up, holding her blanket and throwing her paci out on the ground.  I didn't know how to address this at first.  At the beginning, I would go in and have lengthy conversations with her about why she needed to lay back down.  For some reason, that wasn't working:)  I then decided to channel "Super Nanny" (great show if you haven't watched it), and go in, not making any eye contact and not saying a word and just lay her back down.  According to Jo (Nanny), after awhile you will eventually break their will.  I don't so much think I have broken her will, she just has no more strength to attempt the climb up.

She hasn't figured out how to get down from standing anyway, so she literally will just stand there for the rest of her life, unless I come put her down.  It's really quite pathetic.  Sometimes after I put her down at night and it's completely dark and completely quiet, and I'll just peak in, and she'll be standing there like she is waiting for me to lay her down.  It's kind of creepy!

So far, 15 times has been my record of going in before she has fallen asleep.  You may think that she doesn't understand yet, but she definitely understands.  I am amazed how much that little "almost" one year old does understand.  She knows what "no" means and will definitely try to test it.  Yesterday she kept trying to grab something she wasn't supposed to grab.  I looked at her and said, "No, Monroe.  You are not supposed to touch that."  She did it again and looked at me.  You could tell she was totally testing me!  It really hit home for me, how early you have to set up expectations and boundaries.

Here is a picture of her, in the act...

No comments: