Friday, November 19, 2010

An Uninvited Guest

This past weekend we celebrated my sweet little nephew, Max Lincoln's, first birthday. 


It was a great day full of food, fun and friends...but also, the flu.  Somewhere in that party lurked the icky stomach flu that is picking off each of the guests one at a time. 

It hit Mark and I on Monday as we were leaving work.  We both looked at each other and said in harmony, "I don't feel so good."  

We arrived home and it got progressively worse.  I will spare you the details, but it was bad...real bad, for both of us.  We were so thankful that Monroe seemed to be cheerful and feeling great.  We put her to bed around 8:00 pm and we climbed into our own bed soon after.   Around 8:30, I heard Monroe start crying.  I went to see if she just needed her binky, but as I was feeling around in her bed for it, I felt something gross.  I flipped on the lights and found her covered in throw-up.  Now that I am a parent, I can think of nothing worse than having my little person sick!!!  It's horrible because you feel so helpless.   

The two of us set up camp on towels outside of the bathroom, while Mark was in bed or in the restroom (he was too weak to do much).  Monroe and I continued throwing up in unison for the next few hours until I ended up calling our moms and they both recommended that we take Monroe to the emergency room to make sure she didn't get dehydrated.  

So we packed up our sick little group and headed to the hospital.  We must have looked pretty pitiful...actually, I know we did, because I saw the ER doc that treated us on Wednesday at work and he said just that, "You guys looked pretty pitiful." 

After what seemed like an eternity, we finally arrived back home around 2:30 am.  We each fell into bed and although I was up a few times during the night, we were doing much better by morning.  Definitely not 100% better, but better.  By the evening we were able to eat a light dinner, although we regretted it after.  

We went back to work on Wednesday and now it all just seems like a bad dream.  I know that it wasn't just a bad dream, because I had to clean the house yesterday and it took me ALL DAY!  The place looked like a very horrible battle had been fought there.  Apparently, when WE get sick, we go absolutely insane and use every blanket, towel, piece of clothing we have ever worn, plate, dish & bowl and leave it on the ground. Ugh!!!

So anyway, today I am thankful for our health.  We just had to suffer through that madness for 24 hours, I can't imagine what it must be like to be terminally ill.  We are very blessed.  I am also thankful for a clean house.  

On Monday, Melissa and I are taking Monroe and Max and heading to Kansas City for Thanksgiving.  Mark, Mike and Mason will follow on Tuesday.  I am so excited to see all of our family.  It's going to be an extra special Thanksgiving because the Mott's (Andrea & Carlos) and the Heinrich's (Tasha, Bill & Colton) will be in KC, as well.  It will be amazing to see some of our closest friends.  I couldn't be happier!!!

I hope everyone has an amazing Thanksgiving!  I will keep each of you in my prayers for safe travels and a blessed holiday!  

No comments: