Monday, January 11, 2010

No Meal Plan Monday

I  just realized that I am supposed to have a meal plan for this week...errr...um, that's not going to happen.  I think I will put the meal plan stuff on hold until we get moved.  Is that okay? 

I did manage to find a very yummy looking recipe that I would like to try out for Au Gratin potatoes.  Doesn't the picture look so good?!!  I am going to give them a try this week, but other than that, I have no plans.



  • Prep Time 10 Minutes
  • Cook Time 1 Hour
  • Difficulty Easy   

Ingredients
  • 4 whole Russet Potatoes, Scrubbed Clean
  • 2 Tablespoons Butter, Softened
  • 1-½ cup Heavy Cream
  • ½ cups Whole Milk
  • 2 Tablespoons Flour
  • 4 cloves Garlic, Finely Minced
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • Freshly Ground Pepper, to taste
  • 1 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Freshly Grated

Preparation Instructions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Smear softened butter all over the bottom of a baking dish.
Slice potatoes, then cut slices into fourths.
In a separate bowl, whisk together cream, milk, flour, minced garlic, salt, and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
Place 1/3 of the potatoes in the bottom of the baking dish. Pour 1/3 of the cream mixture over the potatoes.
Repeat this two more times, ending with the cream mixture. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are golden brown and really bubbling. Add grated cheese to the top of the potatoes and bake for 3 to 5 more minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Allow to stand for a few minutes before serving by the spoonful. Delicious 

Mark is flying to Chicago on Wednesday to find us a place to live.  We decided it would be best for us to get that all nailed down as soon as possible.  I think the stress was starting to take a toll on me.  Most people when they are stressed can't sleep.  I guess I am polar opposite, because all I have done is sleep.  I am trying to snap out of it! 

We had a nice weekend.  We spent some long awaited time with the Heinrichs!  We had so much fun.  They have the sweetest little guy, Colton.  He is almost 6 weeks old and is just a precious guy.  He was having some sleeping issues (what baby doesn't) and Mark taught them the art of swaddling.  He is the master.  Mike and Melissa taught us and we felt we needed to pass on the torch.

When Monroe came home to live with us we found that she was the most fitful sleeper.  Her arms and legs would be going a mile a minute and she would inevitably wake herself up.  It was rather frustrating...especially because she was sleeping in a bassinet type thing, right beside us.  Mike mentioned that we should try swaddling, as it worked for Mason.  We did, but she managed to get out of it.  What we didn't realize is that we weren't doing it tight enough.  You have to do it so tight that they loose the will to fight, and they have nothing left to do, but sleep.  It was a miracle!  She started sleeping better right away. 

We still swaddle her every night and for most naps.  We now use the "Swaddle Me" product which makes the whole process even easier. Swaddle Me Link

I would recommend that product to any new family.  I know it won't work for every baby, but it proved to be a lifesaver for us!  If you're curious how to swaddle a baby, here is a great utube tutorial that can help.

I better run.  I have lots to do.  Have a great Monday.  Love you all!

No comments: