Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A belated letter to my girl - Year 2




My Dear Rosie,

So I think it was better that I waited a few days to write this because, believe it or not, you were really, really awful there for awhile.  I think, for a variety of reasons, you have been figuring life out and your coping mechanism has been tantrums--loud, crazy tantrums.  I could have written you then and it would have been fine, but I decided I would rather write you when I wasn't about to pull my hair out.  I needed a few days to figure things out, as well.  I know we will have a lot of times in our future where one or both of us will need to take a step back and think things over before we speak and I think this was one of those times.

Those tantrums don't change the fact that I think you are just the most fantastic first born girlie around.  I still can't believe that you have been in our lives for two years!  I remember everything about the day you were born and especially when they laid your little body on my chest.  At that moment, I became a mommy...your mommy.  I was forever changed in an instant.  From that moment, my goals changed, my thinking changed, my worries changed.  I have worries now that I never dreamed I would have.  I'm already dreading your teenage years and the thought of you dating makes me cringe.  I imagine you graduating from high school and college, and then getting married.  I can't wait to see what you are going to be like then--what our relationship will be like.  
  
I know, I'm getting a little ahead of myself.  I love embracing what and who you are now, as well.  You are clever and kind-hearted, full of life and as sweet as they come. You are very cautious of things, but after you try something once and realize you can do it, you go nuts!  That's very much a "me" thing, by the way.  You definitely have a mind of your own.  Sometimes that characteristic makes me so frustrated, but I do know that as we mold and shape that, it will definitely become one of your greatest strengths.  You are so much like your daddy, it's crazy.  From the way you scrunch up your nose to your strong will.  I love that you are his mini-me.  You may be his mini-me, but you are my little shadow.   I have to really watch what I do and say these days, because I am bound to see it mimicked by you.

I love how independent you are, although there are times when it makes me so sad that you no longer want my help with things.  A very common phrase that I hear these days is, "I do it!"  I'm so proud of how helpful you are.  I can ask you to get me anything from around the house and you will make it your mission to drop what you are doing and help.  What a blessing you are! 

You are HILARIOUS, but I think you might know it.  You are always doing silly things and then looking at me to see if I will laugh.  Your crazy faces and looks are what make me smile the most.   Your laugh is so contagious!  I love when you do your big hearty laugh.  It's the best.  

I definitely need to start writing down the funny things you say.  You have started talking constantly.  I don't have a minute in the day that you aren't giving me a running commentary of my/your day.  There are times when I wish there would be a moment of silence, but when you are sleeping, I miss your jabber and that little giggle.  

I don't want to go on and on, but I just want you to know how special I think you are.  You are beautiful inside and out.  You are lovely and I can't wait to see what this next year brings.  I'm sure it will be full of everything from pure joy to pure aggravation, but I couldn't think of a better group of four people to go through it with!  

Daddy and I promise to continue to cultivate a home dedicated to God.  We pray that the lure of what the world has to offer is totally out shined by your love for Jesus and your longing to be in Heaven.  We pray that you continue to be the sweet, tenderhearted girl that we love so very much.  Please know that we will love you no matter what you choose, no matter what you decide, but we want the very best for you and we hope you learn from our mistakes.  

I love you, Monroe!  Remember I will always be here for you to talk with, to cry on, to kiss or hug you, to pray with you or for you, to read to you--you name it, I'm here.   

Love always,

Mommy 


No comments: