Monday, August 8, 2011

Home, Happy, Healthy

Wow!  It's been a crazy last few days.  We definitely feel so blessed to have Rosie and McKinley home together.

Carseat test at the hospital!  She passed!!! 
Our first car ride as a four person family!  Wow we are blessed...and we need a minivan:) 

McKinley's last day in the hospital.  I had no idea she would be coming home with us later that afternoon.  She's so cuddly.

McKinley is absolutely perfect.  She is just so tiny and such a sweet little person.  I have to admit, I had totally forgotten how tiny babies are.  Rosie still seemed so small to me until this kid came along.  Changing her diaper is one of the scariest things.  Mark and I both dread doing it.  Her legs and bottom are so tiny that it completely freaks us out.

I definitely feel a lot more laid back about everything, though.  I don't get nervous when she cries, etc.  I know things will be fine.  It's wonderful what a little experience under your belt will give you.  But, am I nervous about being alone with both of the girls?  Yes, completely and utterly terrified.  I have no experience in that regard and I really don't know what to expect.

The baby blues came on strong yesterday.  I was weepy pretty much all day.  Mark has been laughing at me because we will be having a normal conversation and I will just start crying.  I'm talking full on tears for no reason.  I remember doing the same thing after Rosie was born.  Luckily, Mark is so understanding and is being very supportive.  I also have wonderful family and friends that don't mind listening either.

Monroe did very well the first night with the new kiddo.  The second night?  Not so much.  She threw a huge tantrum when we put her to bed.  I really think that she was over tired, but it was not a good sight.  She has also become the loudest almost 2-year-old around.  It's like everything she says must be yelled for fear she won't be heard.  This can be a bit aggravating when a person is say, sleeping!  She is the loudest when McKinley is around.  I have really had to train myself not to get upset, but lovingly talk to her about it.  It's almost annoying!!!

Kaylee and I were talking that people always worry about whether there will be enough love for two kids and they fret that the new one will be left out.  That hasn't been a problem at all.  I am struggling with not pulling my hair out with the shenanigans of the first born.  Don't get me wrong, she is the sweetest.  She says and does the most adorable things and I love her like crazy. I just have to realize that she's going through a lot right now.  We all are!  I am finding special moments to read to her and hold her and love on her.  Hopefully things settle down really soon.  Of course, McKinley only arrived in our home on Saturday evening, so there are bound to be some hiccups along the way.

Sister love!  Rosie is pretty much in love.  She loves being close to her. 

Today I am taking Kiki for her labs and to her first well baby visit.  They need to test her bilirubin to make sure her jaundice is coming down.  I really hope it is.  She has been eating and pooping like she's getting paid for it, so there's a good chance we are doing well.

Last night was the first night that I was on full duty.  Nursing has been a struggle, but it's going a lot better than the last time.  She's still so tiny that she gets very worn out and gives up on breast feeding.  Last night actually went better than any other time.  After about ten minutes on each side, she did end up getting aggravated, and I just supplemented with a bottle of breastmilk for the rest.  I really want to get this breastfeeding thing down to an art because I'm about worn out from breastfeeding, pumping, and then feeding the bottle.  It takes forever and in the middle of the night, not so much fun.  Hopefully as she gets stronger, it will fall into place.  I'm just going to keep trying.

I have to be honest, Mark took Rosie to Shelley's for me today.  We decided that labs and doctor's appointment would go a little smoother with just the one kid.  It definitely was so much easier.  How did I ever think I was busy and exhausted after Monroe was born?  I remember thinking that those first few weeks with her were the hardest of my life.  I wonder now what I was thinking.

I couldn't have asked for a more productive day today.  Infants are so low key!  God really does give us infants first for a reason.  If all of a sudden we had a two year old we might fall over dead.  They take so much energy and time.  


So it's later tonight.  Kiki's doctor's appointment went well.  I am using a different pediatrician with Kiki than I use with Monroe.  I love Rosie's pediatrician, but she is so hard to get in to.  I thought I would try the doctor they recommended at the hospital to see what I think.  He is a neonatologist that specializes in preterm babies.  He seems very good, although he is an older Asian gentleman and I couldn't understand half of what he said.  I had to do a lot of my own interpretations.  I also had to say, "What was that you said?" about twenty times over the course of the visit.  You could tell he was very smart though, and he was also very good with babies, so I'll stick it out.  Her bilirubin was up, but not enough to worry him.  When I asked her percentages he said, "tiny", which made me laugh.  It turns out that she is in the 3rd percentile for everything.  I guess that means there's pretty much nowhere to go but up:)   She did have to get a shot today.  She didn't care for that one bit.  She can get so mad.  I have a hard time not laughing at her when she gets so angry.  It's so funny coming out of such a tiny little thing.

This evening Melissa and the boys came over to meet McKinley.  It was great to see them.  Mason is absolutely enamored with her.  He wanted to hold her and did such a good job.  He was so gentle and caring.

A proud big cousin! 
 Both my girls, love their Auntie Melissa! 
Love this one! 

Tomorrow is McKinley's baby shower!  We decided to go ahead with it and I'm so excited to see everyone and for everyone to meet her.  I'll be sure to take pictures.

Since we are on the subject of pictures...Guess who got surprised with a brand spankin' new camera today?????  Me!!!  Mark came home with it and blew me away.  I couldn't believe it.  I can't wait to try it out.  Talk about the best push present ever!  I am so happy:)

Shelley sent an amazing gift home with Monroe...DINNER!  Yummy, Yummy, Yummy Dinner!  It was an amazing meal of veggie meatballs, garlic mashed potatoes, corn and green beans.  It was so nice not to have to worry about dinner tonight.  I got home pretty late from the doctor's appointment and it would have been tough to make it happen any way.  Thank you, Shelley Maletin for being you:)

Well, I better run.  I need to get to bed because pretty soon, I will need to be up again!  Oh, the joys of motherhood.  It really is amazing!  I'm still working on a Delivery Post to tell all of the gory details of how it all went down.  Well, not so much gory, but descriptive.

Oh, I almost mom comes tomorrow!  I am so excited for her to get here.  It will be so wonderful to have the help and I really can't wait for her to meet McKinley.

Love you all!

No comments: