Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Quiet Time Basket

It's a gloomy day here in NC and it appears the girls seem to be very affected by weather.  They have been pretty atrocious...Rosie, especially!  I'm attributing the crankiness to them waking up at the crack of dawn.  Luckily, Kiki is currently napping and Rosie is taking some quiet time to get herself together.  I'm hoping it works.  Gigi had to be taken away because of an earlier incident, so, yes, it's been a traumatic morning.

I did want to share my take on an idea from another blog that I've been trying out during Rosie's nap time/quiet time that I've been getting good results from.  There are many days that instead of sleeping, Rosie will just play quietly in her room.  It doesn't bother me, because I feel like it gives both of us some much needed down time.  However, I have hated going in her room after to find that the quiet playing led to her completely destroying her previously clean room.

I've started putting together a "Quiet Time Basket" each day.  In it, I put a few different things that she can use to play with during her down time.  She's not allowed to get out any other toys, but the ones in her basket.  I've told her that if she gets tired of them, then she should just rest her eyes.  I usually put about four or five items in the basket.  Here are some of the items I've been using:

2 or 3 books (I try to use books that she's not read in awhile or new books that are only for quiet time)
Sticker books
Coloring books and a few crayons
Magnetic Paper Dolls
Puzzles
Blocks
Dominos
A baby doll and bottle
A doll with hair and a brush
Letter/Number Magnets and a Magnetic Board
Polly Pockets and a few accessories
Toy Cars
Lacing Cards
Etch-A-Sketch
Magna Doodle

So far, Rosie really looks forward to the surprise of what's in the basket for the day and I appreciate the piece of mind that I get from knowing her room won't be destroyed.  It's a win-win!    

Rosie and her Quiet Time Basket 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are such a great mommy!! I love you ideas too! -Aubrey (your faithful blog reader ;)!