Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Book Habit

I went out tonight and got all three of the items I forgot to get earlier.  Sometimes, I completely amaze myself by how forgetful I can be.  I think I'm going to have to start making lists.  Mom, I'm becoming more and more like you every day.    

After our trip to the store, Rosie played with perler beads for the first time.  She really loved them.  She would have done more, but I had to finally cut her off.    



Her finished products.  I helped her with the "B".  

So, I think I have mentioned it here before, but I may have a little obsession with kids books.  I love them and I love to buy them.  I've loved them even before I had my own kids, but now that I have the girls, it's gone to a new level.  I can't get enough of the girls' faces when I bring home new books and since I don't work outside the home anymore, I think I've come to think of it as my job.  

Mark has started getting concerned and seems to be frustrated by all of the books.  I think he's getting close to putting his foot down.  We don't have a large home, and I do understand there aren't many open spaces.  I didn't consider it a problem until I started looking at all of my book spots today...

I have a bookcase in the hallway...





Kiki's room bookcase... (I didn't straighten any of the books before I took these photos.  I apologize for the messiness.)



Rosie's room bookcase...



Books beside her bed...

Her book ledge...
 Books on her dresser...


Books in her side table...


Books under the coffee table downstairs...


A pile of Christmas books I'm collecting in the coat closet...


I have piles of books all over the house...



That's a lot of kids' books, but I don't know how to stop.  At least I don't collect jewelry or expensive purses.  They're just books, right?

To try and take the heat off of my book habit, I've decided to take part in the 30 bags in 30 days Project.  I have to decide on thirty areas of our home that need cleaning out.  Then I have to organize and declutter those areas, trying to get rid of 30 bags worth of stuff.  I'm a saver, but I desperately want to be less of one.  I've been reading a lot about how to be more of a minimalist.  I'm trying to learn ways to be less emotionally connected to my stuff.  I have to tell you, it's really hard for me.  I keep everything and it all seems to have sentimental value.  So anyway, wish me luck as I try to cut the cord with my stuff! The books, though, they aren't going anywhere.




No comments: