Thursday, March 21, 2013

Closed for Business...

I wrote this last week and I forgot to post it.  Sorry about that!  Sorry, also,  for sort of falling off of the face of the earth, but I've been super busy!  We went on a little trip over the weekend and I can't wait to tell you all about it.  For now I'll leave you with this post...

As long as I can remember, I have dreamed of being a mom.  Not just any mom, but a mom to many, many children.  Not quite Duggar-ish, but at one point, I thought six would be perfect.   Luckily, I married a man that was just as in love with the idea of having tons of kid as I was.   Fast forward to now...we have two kids and I think we're throwing in the baby making towel.  I have to say, I didn't see that one coming.  My younger self would be shaking her head in disbelief.   

Now, by no means was this an easy decision.  We have gone back and forth--over and over.  Well, by "we", I mean "me".  Mark has seemed fairly certain for quite some time now.  His fear of having three daughters paralyzed his thinking beyond two.  I, however, have struggled.  On one hand, I feel so very blessed and content with our two little ladies.  Why press our luck?  On the other hand, the idea of closing that chapter is overwhelming.  No more feeling a baby kicking inside my belly?  No more bringing a baby home from the hospital?  No more baby coos and baby smells?  Then again, no more morning sickness or my crazy pregnancy itching.  No more three a.m. feedings or mastitis or sleep training.  There are definite pros and cons.  Lately, though, I've been feeling more okay with embracing our four person family, so I think we're settled.  Not to say we won't change our minds down the road or there won't be some unplanned accident baby (please Lord, no).  There's always that chance, but for now, that's are decision.  

So anyway, with the decision made, we felt it was time to get rid of some of the baby stuff that's been crowding our garage.  This week, I sold the car seat, stroller, swing, bottle warmer, bouncer, activity gym, bathtub, infant travel bed, bumbo chair, changing table pad, some blankets and toys, a lampshade, and some other randoms.  Yeah, I don't mess around after I make up my mind.   I also went through some of the bins of baby clothes (ages newborn to 6 months) and forced myself to part with some of it.  I couldn't bare to let much go.  I was just planning on keeping a few special outfits, but ended up with A LOT.  For example, I kept every last one of the preemie outfits.  There was no way I could let those tiny little outfits leave my possession.  I'm just too sentimental! 

I set up a little "store" in my den with all of the clothes and posted on my neighborhood fb page.  A few ladies came over and bought quite a bit.  I'm going to leave my "store" up a few more days, and then I think I'll take the rest to consignment.  




So, it's been a very bittersweet week.  It was nice to get rid of "stuff," but it was so hard parting with stuff so full of memories.    

Here are a few pictures from our week...

We went out to play and Kiki decided on this hat...and she wouldn't take it off.  She even ate her dinner wearing it.  

You may remember that Rosie really liked that hat, too as a little person...and I've been told that it was Mark's favorite as a little boy.  

There's just something about that hat. 

I think I might have stumbled upon a stain removing miracle.  Mix a little cascade powder soap with dawn dish soap and warm water.  Soak the stained clothing in the solution and then use a scrub brush to really let the stain have it.  Throw in the washing machine and watch magic happen!  I've only met one stain that it didn't get rid of.  Give it a try! 




2 comments:

Tracy said...

I thought 5 or 6 would be perfect for the amount of kids for me too!! Oh man, now I am just praying I'll be blessed with at least one or two :) My how things change with age, booooo!!

I can only imagine when I have kids...I'll want to keep every outfit as well ;) and that den of yours is just SO cute girl!!

Absolutely love that the girls love Mark's hat like he did...you need to find a pic of him in it at their age!

Anca said...

What a beautiful spring mantle! We are working on that Easter egg picture today actually. I wish you could help us purge our storage units-ha!