Sunday, August 5, 2012

Birthdays, Bears and Time for Bed

Well, my little person is officially a one-year-old.  Ugh!  Talk about a lump in my throat.  I can't get over how quickly this year has flown by.  We did a tiny little celebration on her actual birthday (Friday) at the pool.  Maria brought her the cutest birthday balloon and a gazillion donuts from McFarlans to enjoy.  It was nice and low key and just perfect.

Her Sabbath School teacher had a little candle and song on Sabbath and you could tell that she thought that was pretty special.

 Miss Darlene, lighting the birthday candle.  
Happy Birthday, Keeks! 

Saturday afternoon, Mark's Uncle Keith and Aunt Kandice arrived at our house.  They were driving to Nashville for Teachers' Convention and needed a place to stay for the night.  We decided to take them on a tour of the Fletcher area and then to the Biltmore.  I'm so glad that we went because Mark's dream was realized...he saw a bear!  It was so exciting.  We stopped the car and Mark and I hopped out to get closer.  That little bear didn't seem the least bit scared as he lumbered across the road.  We ended up seeing all kinds of wildlife.  It was so fun!  


Today, we puttered around the house cleaning and doing laundry and watching an unheard of amount of Olympic coverage.   In the afternoon, Mark went to play golf and the girls and I headed to Kiki's friend, Zoe's first birthday party.  It was AMAZING.  Zoe's mom, Tammy, went all out.  She's such a talented hostess.  We were so tired and so dirty when we got home, it was almost comical.   

 Let's Party! 
 Take a look at this dessert table!  It was out of this world! 
 Monroe seemed to like her cupcake:) 
 Kiki, scaring the birthday girl.
 Kiki taking a dip with her new friend, Madelyn. 
Look at that diaper! 

Well, the Olympics have done it again...they've made me cry like a little baby.  I get so inspired by the amazing athletes, their determination, drive and touching stories!  Some of my favorite moments from this weekend...  
  • Seeing the double amputee, Oscar Pistorius, living his dream.  I loved that Kirani James traded bibs with him.   
  • I never knew Heptathlons even existed until last night, when I watched the British heptathlete, Jessica Ennis kick some major Olympic butt.  She was amazing at every event.  I want to be just like her when I grow up.  
  • I thought all gymnasts were teenagers, until tonight when I saw the vaulter from Uzbekistan finish her Olympic career.  She is 37 and has participated in 6 Olympics!  Is that nuts or what?  I guess this means I still have a chance.  A girl can dream, right!    
Well, it's way passed my bedtime, but I can't seem to tear myself away from the track and field coverage.  I think it's time I call it a night, though.  Hope you all had a great weekend!

No comments: