Friday, July 13, 2012

A God Thing

It was the last day of Vacation Bible School today and I have to say, it was bittersweet.  It really has been so fun meeting with friends every day and having a place for the kiddos to run and play and learn more about God.  On the other hand, it will be nice to get the girls back on their normal schedule.  Hopefully, Kiki will go back to taking two naps again.  I'm so not ready to give up the morning nap!  I don't know how I would get anything done.  Oh well, no use fretting about that.  Here are a few pics from our last day...

 Blythe and Morgan (more members of the tribe of Benjamin)
 Kiki really made herself at home there.  Here she is playing the shaker during the theme song.
 Rosie girl playing the bells!
 Sweet Bryn 
Rosie and Kiki's completed memory verse plates.  They went every day so they have all five!  For some reason this makes me very proud.  I'm weird.  

After VBS, we decided it would be fun to take the the kids to Target to do some shopping and eat lunch in their little eatery.  BAD IDEA and I take total blame for it.  It started sprinkling as we were leaving the Church and by the time we got to Target it was full on raining.  I put Rosie in her raincoat and Kiki in the covered stroller and by the time we made it into Target I looked like a drowned rat.  I mean it...was...bad.  It really looked as if I had taken a shower in my clothes.  We walked (dripped) around Target until the kids were pretty famished.

When we went to order our food, there was one little girl working behind the counter who wasn't super efficient, to put it lightly.  It took about thirty minutes to get the food and things came out in shifts.  The kids were all going nuts by the time we were done and we (the moms) were about to pull our hair out.  The looks we were getting from those around us weren't super helpful either.  I've decided eating out with kids is a very close second to grocery shopping with kids...no bueno.  I was so exhausted by the time we got out of there that I strongly considered napping in my car right there in the parking lot.

As I was driving home, I was feeling rather forlorn.  Thoughts of how tiring and overwhelming motherhood can be were swirling in my head, when what darted by in a yard I was passing by, but the albino squirrel!  I felt like it was God's way of saying, "Hey Steph, I'm thinking about you, and you're doing a great job"... or it was just an albino squirrel.  I choose to believe the first.  

I'll never forget a worship thought that a beautiful friend of mine, Danielle presented when we were working at AHS together in Florida.   She read about a girl who had decided to choose a random object (her God Thing), that when she saw it throughout her life would reminded her that God was looking out for her and showing his love for her.  Danielle thought that was a great idea and chose a "God Thing," too.  I can't remember if she chose penguins or polar bears, but I'm pretty sure it was one of those.

She went on to tell about when she was staying with some family the night before she was supposed to run her very first marathon in Chicago.  She was especially nervous and definitely had the jitters.  That's when she looked at the pillowcase she was about to lay down on.  Guess what was on it?  You guessed it...her God thing!  Just what she needed to help settle her down for the night.  I think I've found my "God Thing".   I just hope there's more than one albino squirrel in this world.

No comments: