Monday, January 21, 2013

My Thrifted Piano


Well, my $100 Goodwill find is finally finished and I couldn't be happier!  This project took a lot longer than I had initially thought, but I know it will be in the family for a long time and I can already
imagine the little fingers banging out songs for years to come, so it's totally worth it.



After sanding, it took three coats of yellow paint to cover the piano.  I used Cornmeal by Olympic which can be found at Lowe's.  After painting, I used an old cloth to rub Minwax Wood Finish Stain in Ebony.  This step was very frightening.  I seriously thought I would have to start all over, because it just looked dirty!  After a lot of rubbing and sanding, it ended up getting the weathered look I was going for.  Actually, the stain made it look a little more weathered than I had planned, but I like it.  I finished it off with Minwax Fast Drying Varnish.  



The piano's music stand was broken off when I bought it.  I looked online to see if I could find a replacement, but I didn't have any luck.  Then I got the idea of using a wrought iron wall hanging.  I looked at a few stores and ended up finding this one.  It was a REALLY ugly copper color, but the size, shape and price were perfect, so I brought it home and painted it black.  It works perfectly!  



Like I mentioned before, it was a big project, but I'm so happy that this piano lives in my home now!  Do you want to see some more inspiring Thrifting Projects?  The Francis Family is hosting another awesome link-up this week!  Go check it out!  



7 comments:

nicole said...

You never cease to totally amaze me! The piano is gorgeous. Strong work, friend:)

Anca said...

Steph, it is BEAUTIFUL! I mean, truly gorgeous. I love it! I wish I could have watched you do it. Great job.

Mandy Hank said...

It's beautiful! I bet it has so many memories and stories.
Just dropping in from Dog Days link party to say hello!

Hanne Noel said...

we have a piano that was handed down from my aunt. i never thought of refinishing it... but now..... INSPIRED! i want a distressed robins egg blue. any pointers??? have never painted / refinished a THING. i also have a night stand in my room that was my grammies. all the furniture in my room except that is distressed black. what color would you do that? can't you just come here and teach me? :) LOOKS FAB GIRL!

Tracy said...

Looks AMAZING Steph!! Seriously my favorite is your iron music stand...it adds so much to it!! <3

Jessica said...

Looks great! I'm thinking about redoing my piano, and I'm wondering...how did you protect the keys/inside of the piano? Tips would be great! My email is jessicanicolehill@gmail.com

Joenevo said...

Interesting Article. Hoping that you will continue posting an article having a useful information. Iron Music Stand