Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Guest Room Reveal

Tonight was book club and it was so fun, as usual.  Maria hosted and she did an awesome job.  She made us the best meal of homemade alfredo and marinara sauces over pasta.  She had salad and bread and some wonderful desserts.  It was great.  We also had a great time discussing the book.  The book for next month is called Beneath a Marble Sky: A Love Story by John Shors.  I look forward to getting started.  I was supposed to host next month, but I traded with Jackie for July.

I spent the day today painting, cleaning and running errands.  We also spent some time outside again in this beautiful weather.  It was so nice that I was able to wear a sun dress!  I LOVE this weather!!!

So we are pretty much done with the guest room!  I still have a few little things to find.  We still need a few accessories and we really want to get a piece of art, but we aren't rushing it.  I am so happy with how the stripes came out.  All of the prep work was definitely worth it.  If you are ever considering painting stripes in your house, please let me know and I'll let you know the tricks of the trade.  The tape came off perfectly, without a bit of bleeding.  I was so relieved.  

Please excuse the pictures.  The lighting was horrible so I waited until dark and then it was even worse.  I really wanted to show you the finished product tonight though, so we'll go with it.  I'll try to take some better shots tomorrow.  So without further ado, here's the room...





The new bookcase.  I am still figuring out how to make that area work.  I really want an art piece above there.  

Since the master bedroom ended up being just silvers, whites and grays, we decided it would be fun to do gray and yellow in the guest room.  For some reason, yellow was much easier to find this time around.

Here's my hope chest that my parents gave me when I was younger.  It's very special to me, but the wood didn't go with anything in our house.  We went pretty bold with the yellow, but I think it works.  I still want to distress it, but I will leave that for another day.

Before (I had already started sanding the top)
After 


I also wanted to show you something really easy that I did this afternoon.  I found this bud vase at Ikea for $.79.  I put a little paint inside and now I have a very cheap yellow accessory for the book case.  So affordable and so easy!  I would like to do some other glass jars, too.  

 Before 
After

No comments: