Sunday, June 17, 2012

Fruit Fly Don't Bother Me!


Over the weekend we had a huge fruit fly invasion.  Those things drive me nuts and I finally got so frustrated that I scoured the internet looking for ways to rid our home of those nasty little creatures.  

There were quite a few interesting ideas and I couldn't decide on one.  There's a little part of me that has always loved a good Science Fair project.  In fact, I will often tell Mark things I've thought of that would make good projects.  I can't wait for the girls to get school age, so I can be like all good parents and do their projects for them.  Anyway, that part of me emerged and I decided to give three of those ideas a try and see which one worked the best.  In case you are suffering from the same problem, I thought I would tell you about them and their results.

1)  Fill a bowl with water, dishwasher soap and a few teaspoons of apples cider vinegar.  The flies are attracted to the vinegar, but get stuck in the soap suds.

2) Fill a glass/jar/cup with a mixture of apple cider vinegar and balsamic and place a small piece of fruit inside (I chose a banana).  Cover the top with plastic wrap and make a few tiny holes with a fork.  They have a hard time finding their way out and end up giving up. 

3) Fill a jar with apple cider vinegar and warm in the microwave for 15-20 seconds.  Create a cone/funnel with a small opening at the bottom out of paper and tape to jar to create a seal.  They get in, but aren't smart enough to get out.    


The results:  They all were successful!  The cone was probably the most successful, though.  Good luck!  

No comments: