Sunday, December 2, 2012

I'm not exactly sure why the caged bird sings?

I did something today that's totally foreign to me.  I spent the afternoon alone!  Crazy, huh?!  Well, it was only about three hours, but it was really nice.  A few months ago, I was leafing through the magazine "Country Living," and read about the nation's top 50 craft fairs.  I was excited to see that one of those, The Big Crafty, was here in Asheville.  I made a mental note that I would go to it when the time came.  Well, it kind of snuck up on me and before I knew it, the day had arrived.  Mark was busy with a work thing until after noon, but when he got home, he told me to go have some fun.  I was a little nervous to go on my own (the introvert in me was rearing its ugly head) but I went and I'm really glad I did.  I did a few errands on the way, had a nice lunch and then headed downtown.  Everyone there looked like my yoga instructor, smelled of patchouli and were much cooler than I ever could even think of being, but it was nice.  I found a few little treasures, which was a plus!  I've been feeling a little bit like a caged bird lately due to being housebound with Rosie and Kiki, so the chance to get out was VERY welcome.

When I got home, I was greeted by two little homeless looking children.  I guess that's what three plus weeks of sickness will do to you.  They just looked very dirty, grubby and ragamuffiny.  Nothing a little TLC couldn't cure, and by TLC I don't mean the 90's girl group, although the song, "Waterfalls" was pretty awesome.  I made it my mission for the rest of the afternoon to try to get them back in order.  A bath, a haircut, and a mani/pedi later and they were good to go.  They are still not well, poor little things.  You can see it in their tired eyes.  It just breaks my heart.  They haven't been 100% in weeks and I'm really hoping we are over the worst of it.  Here are a few photos from our journey through the "plague"...

 Ragamuffin #1 - Enjoying her popsicle.  
 Ragamuffin #2- Tasting her very first popsicle.  She's a fan! 
 Nothing makes a sick girl feel better more than cuddling up with a good book underneath the Christmas tree.  
Sickly Sisters
This picture just kills me.  It really hit her hard! 
Kiki's first pedicure tonight!  She seems proud of her pink little toes. 

Today was day two of our Advent Calendar and the girls are both loving it.  If you remember back from this post, I wrapped different Christmas books and the girls get to unwrap one of them every day of December.  I had a few extra, so some days the girls get a bonus book.  The stories are definitely putting us all in the Christmas mood.  The house all decked out for Christmas helps, too.  It is so cozy in this place!  

Both of the girls LOVE everything about Christmas (except Santa, but that's a story for another day).  Every morning when Rosie comes down the stairs, she gasps and in her most awe-filled voice whispers some form of, "The Christmas tree is so beautiful/magical/perfect/wonderful."  Kiki is mesmerized by the ornaments.  She considers each of them her property and has made it her job to find other homes for them.  I've found ornaments in the pantry, in the laundry room, in the couch cushions and in the toilet.  Yes, the toilet.  That one now lives in the trash.    

Daddy and Rosie cuddling and reading.
The Tree (Please ignore our crooked star.  For eight years, I have tried everything to make it stay upright.  As you can see, nothing's worked.)  
When I was home a few weeks ago, I found my first ornament, circa 1980.  Now it lives at our house!
The day after Thanksgiving, Monroe and the boys helped me paint craft sticks so that I could make this.  I just used hot glue and some ribbon.  It cost me nothing!  I love a free project. 

The Ornament Bandit...caught red-handed

The day the plague hit, before I realized it was upon us, I tried to get some pictures for our Christmas Card.  Needless to say, it didn't go well.   I wasn't able to use any of them, but I think I might try to do this little session again when there is no 103 degree fever involved.    

This was the only one I was able to get of Kiki on the chair.  In all of the others, she was on the floor face-down crying.  That should have been my first clue.  

This should have been my second.  
Well, I've got loads of laundry to fold.  Have a great night and a wonderful week!  I'll leave you with some pictures that made me smile.  

Mark and I were reading to Rosie on the couch, while Kiki played.  We heard chairs being moved, but didn't think anything of it, until we looked up to find this happening.  No fear here people.  

I'm still trying to get a handle on this curling wand thing.  It's pretty tough to maneuver the curls in the back.  Lucky for me, I have my own in-house hair guy.  Gotta love him...yes, that's a protective glove:) 

No comments: