Friday, September 7, 2012

Advent Calendar


I love Advent Calendars.  I think they are such a fun way to get the kiddos excited about Christmas and a great tradition to start with your family.  I've seen so many fun ideas on blogs and love them all, but a few years ago, I found one that I especially loved, but haven't been able to do until this year.

Throughout the year you collect Christmas related children's books.  Then you wrap them up in fun wrapping paper.  Every day of December your little darlings get to open up a book that you read together as a family.  I imagine us all drinking cider or hot chocolate while reading our special book for the day. I've added my own little twist on it, too.  I am only collecting 24 books and for the 25th book I will wrap the Bible in an extra special way.  Then we will read the Christmas story together on Christmas day.  I can't wait!

I really love this idea because you can reuse the books every year.  The idea of finding and buying 24 Christmas books may seem a bit overwhelming, but I'm over halfway there and it hasn't been bad/hard/expensive at all.  We already had a few Christmas books and I've found the others on sale at Barnes & Noble or at Goodwill.  If you don't want to worry about buying them, you could always borrow them from your local library, which equals...FREE!

So, anyway, I thought I would give you an early heads-up on the idea, just in case you wanted to join in.  Merry Christmas in September:)


No comments: