Sunday, February 12, 2012

Where Do Broken Hearts Go?

The weekends sure do fly by.  It has been a super cold one here in North Carolina.  We actually got some snow on Saturday, but it didn't stick.   I have to admit, I have been missing snow, so it was a lovely surprise.  We thought really seriously about taking a little trip to Gatlinburg this weekend, but because of the cold weather, we decided to hold off.  We figured it would be more fun for Rosie and Kiki if it was a tad bit warmer.  I was sort of sad.  It sounded kind of fun to get away, even for a day or two.  I haven't been to Gatlinburg in years, so it will be fun to go back.

We haven't done anything too exciting.  I did just finish up a little project I have been meaning to do for MONTHS!  I don't have pictures of it yet.  I figured I would wait until the morning so I could get better lighting.  Also, it's in Kiki's room and she's sleeping right now.  I can tell you about it, though.  I haven't been able to find curtains that I love for her room yet.  I really wanted to put something up, because the window's needed something besides just the wooden blinds.  It was just too boring, so I thought hanging some sort of garland or pennant would be cute.   I ended up making some garland out of stuff I had on hand.  I really like how it turned out and it will definitely work until I can find what I'm looking for by way of curtains.  Here's a sneak peak of the project...



I think Monroe just might eat us out of house and home.  I mean she's eating like a horse!!!  Today she had the following: two bananas, tons of blueberries and blackberries, two oranges, peanut butter toast, two bowls of cereal, dorito casserole, one bowl of corn, string cheese, 2 pancakes, 2 Morningstar links, sauteed spinach and salad.  I can't think of any more, but there's a chance I missed something.  Is it just me, or does that seem like a lot for a toddler?  She must be going through a growth spurt, especially since there are days when I can hardly get her to eat anything.  She's already pretty tall for her age.  Mark would LOVE for her to just keep right on growing.  If she's going to be the pro basketball, tennis and golf player that he has planned, she'd better.

I'm watching the Grammy's right now.  They are just helping to solidify the fact that I am way out of touch with pop culture.  It's probably pretty telling that I'm beyond excited that the Beach Boys performed and that I got to see my favorite, Stevie Wonder.  They've all still got "it", in my opinion, by the way.  I mean, I do love me some Cold Play and Adele, but there are some artists that I just don't get.  Lady Gaga is one of them.  I don't understand and doubt I ever will.

I've been pretty torn up about the passing of Whitney Houston.  I know it sounds kind of silly since I didn't actually know her, but I have always loved that girl (no pun intended).   My tape of Whitney's second album broke from me listening to it too many times.  It was the one with the song, "I Wanna Dance with Somebody".  Believe me, I danced my heart out to that song...alone in my room, of course.  When a boy at school "broke my heart", I rewound the song, "Where Do Broken Hearts Go" over and over.  I felt like she wrote it just for me.  The Bodyguard was my first ever CD (even though I wasn't allowed to see the movie until much later).  I belted out, "I Will Always Love You" with the best of them.  "The Greatest Love of All" was my anthem at the ripe old age of 12.  Her voice reminds me of growing up.  It's really heartbreaking when a person dies before their time, especially such a talented person.  I hate to think that it was because of her addictions, but it does seem like that's probably the case.  So sad.

Well, I'm going to finish up here.  Hope your weekend has been a great one! 

No comments: