Thursday, September 6, 2012

Green Thumb?

There are very few things that I don't like about living here in North Carolina, but the lack of good parks for kids is on my list.  Coming from Chicago where there is an amazing park on every street corner, I was bummed to find only a few parks and they are all very run down.   All of my friends here feel the same way.   Well, my wonderful hubby discovered a brand new park the other day and it is awesome!  It has really cool climbing toys and slides, a walking/riding trail and to top it all off, it's right next to a brand new branch of our library!  Today, we met Maria+kids and Jackie+kids and tried it out for the first time.  It was great and the kids were all exhausted by the time we left, which is pretty much the goal of most excursions.

Two people told me that it's totally fair game to start decorating for Fall.  What a relief!  I'm not going to take it as a sign that I can't find real pumpkins yet.  No matter...plastic pumpkins will do the job until the real ones show up in stores.  I do think I have some sort of illness though when it comes to Fall.  I actually bought a hay bale last night...A HAY BALE!  You have to admit that's a little nuts.

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but I kill plants.  Not purposefully or anything, very much accidentally.  I just can't seem to keep a plant alive.  I was really feeling good about my basil plant.  I LOVED being able to pick fresh basil for my marinara sauce or bruschetta.  It was pretty heart breaking when it started deteriorating and now looks like this...

My poor little basil plant.  I haven't given up on it yet. 

This is pretty much the story of my life when it comes to plants.  So today, I went in the backyard for something and noticed something red in my flower beds.  When I got closer I realized the red was actually tomatoes...cute little cherry tomatoes.

What a surprise! 

I remember vaguely in Spring that I bought a cherry tomato plant, but somehow never got around to planting it.   I had set it out in the beds to plant, but by the time I was ready to do it, it was dead (or so I thought).  Apparently, plants do better when I leave them to their own devises.  

The fruits of my...?

I guess I should learn my lesson, but I've decided to give it another try.  I bought this tiny little basil growing kit from the dollar section at Target (it's about the size of a golfball).  Rosie and I got it all set up today and hopefully it doesn't become another casualty of my curse.  I'm not holding my breath.  

You might send up a prayer for this little guy.  

No comments: