Friday, December 16, 2011

My First CAKE!

So, I've made cakes before, but I've never in my life made a cake from scratch.  Sad, I know.  Although, making a cake with a boxed mix can be just as fulfilling.  It makes me so annoyed when people say, "Is this cake from scratch?" in a condescending tone, because it's not like the box opened itself and cooked right up.  No, I had to open it and add the eggs, etc.

Anyway, so I am attempting my first cake "from scratch" as I write!  It's actually in the oven right now and I'm just about to make the glaze.  I'm super excited because it looks like it has the potential to be super moist.

The cake I'm making is a Coca Cola Cake.  Here's the recipe:

Coca Cola Cake

In a bowl mix:

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

In a sauce pan:

1 cup butter
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup coca cola
1/2 cup buttermilk
 
Cook until a boil. Add to flour mix and whisk.  Then add two eggs and 1 tsp vanilla.

Bake in a greased 9x13 pan for 30 minutes.

When cake is close to being done, heat the following in a saucepan:

1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup coca cola

Once it boils, remove and slowly stir in 4 cups of powdered sugar until smooth.  Then add 1 cup chopped pecans.

Pour over warm cake.

No comments: