Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Eat your fruits and veggies

Tonight I had my doctor's appointment.  It went well.  My blood pressure was perfect and he said not to be worried about my little episode.  This made me feel a lot better.  My little McKinley's heartbeat is as strong as can be.  I'm also measuring perfect.


My doctor's wife had her baby last week, so he was pretty excited about that.  The little guy was small, five pounds, but is doing very well.   I asked him about ways to speed up my process.  He said that most 2nd babies come a few days later, which greatly upset me:)  He said he didn't want me trying anything until 37 weeks, but he gave me some good ideas.  I was surprised that he mentioned castor oil on the list because it is kind of a controversial technique!  That's what my mom used for three of her four babies.   I  guess if he is cool with it,  I won't totally rule it out.


Tonight, we took Mike to eat for an early birthday dinner (his birthday is tomorrow).  Melissa, the boys, and her sister and fam went to Michigan for part of the week, so he's living the single life.  We ended up going to Qdoba.  Kind of a strange place to choose, I know, but it was good.  I wasn't going to eat, because we had Indian for lunch, but I gave in.


On the subject of food, I recently have read quite a few articles discussing the amazing health benefits of different fruits and vegetables.  I was amazed at some of the cool things I found out.  This could get pretty boring for you, but I really feel the need to share some of them.  Feel free to stop reading now:)


*Cherries (dried or fresh) eaten one hour before bed will raise melatonin levels and help with a better night's sleep.
*Corn lowers lung cancer risks by 27%.
*Blueberries=brain food.  They defend against Alzheimer's and those that eat 2 cups a week are 25% less likely to develop Parkinson's disease. 
*One sweet potato offers 262% of recommended Vitamin A allowance which keeps skin looking young. 
*Cantaloupe is good for the immune system.  1 cup gives 113% of recommended Vitamin C.
*Carrots are one of the best for your heart...those that eat at least one serving a day are 60% less likely to have a heart attack.
*Limes are cancer fighting and those cancer fighting properties remain in the bloodstream for up to 24 hours after consumption.
*Beets have betelain and act as a natural cleanse.
*Broccoli speeds up sunburn recovery.  It reduces redness and inflammation by 37%.
*Blackberries are natural pain relievers.
*Raisins can treat menopause because it offers boron which provides the same effects of estrogen therapy.
*Garlic and bananas lower blood pressure.
*Kiwi can lessen the effects of asthma.

Pretty amazing, huh?!  I think it's so neat to think that God really did provide everything we needed in fruits and vegetables!  It's too bad we screw everything up by the way we eat:(  Definitely something to think about.  

I'm very relieved.  For the past two days, a very important member of our family has been missing.  Completely gone and one of us wasn't taking the news to well.  I came very close to issuing an Amber Alert...


Yes, it was "Baby" and Monroe was pretty devastated.  I tried to give her one of her other babies, but she wouldn't have it.  She looked at me and said very matter of factly, "No".

Thank heavens, Mark found baby in the garage tonight.  Peace is now restored in our home and all is right with the world.  

Tomorrow is my last day of work for the week.  I can't wait to be done.  I'm so tired.  It was either work or the rousing game of kickball that Mark and I played when I got home from work.  You think I'm kidding, and I would, too, but we really did play kickball.  I don't know how it happened, but it was fun, although I'm already feeling the effects of my exertion of energy.  I won't be playing very often.  

The good news is that, after tomorrow, I don't work again until next Wednesday!  That's a six day break and it sounds pretty wonderful.  I better head to bed.  Love to you all! 

No comments: