Monday, July 11, 2011

Let there be LIGHT!

Today when I left for work, the sun was shining and the birds were singing.  I knew it was going to be a great day.  Then, halfway to work, the sky got black, the heavens opened up and it began torrentially raining.  I'm talking crazy, crazy rain and crazy, crazy wind.  Luckily I had an umbrella today, but even with an umbrella I was completely and utterly soaked when I got into the hospital.  I thought I looked wet, but then I saw a girl run into the hospital after me without an umbrella.  She looked like she jumped in a pool!

I spent the rest of today trying to get dry.  My shoes are still wet:)  I didn't let that get me down.  The day was a bit slower than normal, but it wasn't a bad day at all.  I can't complain.

When I got home, I walked in the house, ready to start making dinner, only to find that our power was out. I went over to check with our neighbor and she said that it was supposed to be out for days according to the radio.  Apparently, the storm caused the biggest power outage in a decade.  It wasn't looking good for us to get it back any time soon.  I called ComED and they said there was NO estimated time or day for reinstatement of electricity in our area.  Ugh!  I hated the idea of losing all of the groceries I just bought so I ended up calling my secretary to check and see if we could borrow their generator.  She was happy to share it.  She lives kind of far away, but we figured we didn't have anything else to do, so we hopped in the car and made a trip of it.

We ended up staying and chatting a bit, and then had dinner at a yummy little Mexican place.  We headed home hoping to get there before the sun went down so we could get the generator all set up.  We arrived home with time to spare, but as we pulled up we looked around at our neighbors' houses and saw...LIGHTS!!!! What a relief.  I have always heard that the best way to get your electricity back on is to go get a generator and that technique definitely worked tonight.  As I lay here on my comfy couch, in my cool house, I couldn't be happier.  It really has been a good day.

Do you remember when Monroe won that photo contest on FB?  Well, I had chosen some really cute little shoes as part of her prize, but they never came in.  The girl gave me the option to choose something else, but I couldn't find anything that just grabbed me.  When the shoes did finally come in, they no longer were in Monroe's size, so I didn't know what to do.  A few days ago, I realized I still had credit at that little shop.  I emailed her and asked if I could go ahead and get a different pair of shoes, since I now have another little girl on the way.  Well, look what came in the mail today...

Aren't they the cutest?!  I can't wait to put them on McKinley's little feet:)

Tomorrow I have another doctor's appointment.  I'm pretty glad because I had a little scare last night.  I woke up in the middle of the night feeling super dehydrated, my heart was racing and my feet and hands were feeling very swollen.  My mind immediately went to preeclampsia.  When I got to work this morning, I had a friend check my blood pressure.  He said it was perfect, but wanted me to let my doc know about the incident.  I called and they said as long as I'm feeling better, we can just wait until tomorrow's appointment.  My heart hasn't felt like it did since, so I'm relieved.  My legs and feet did feel very swollen when I got home tonight.  Yuck!  I hate that feeling.  They are definitely pretty hard to look at.  Anyway, I'll let you know how the appointment goes tomorrow.  

Well, I better go.  I have a few things to get done and I feel so blessed to be able to do them thanks to electricity!  YAY!  

No comments: