Thursday, January 19, 2012

I have a problem...

From the time I was little, I've had a real problem keeping my closet clean.  It's gotten better over the years, but it's never been good.  When I was younger I remember my pretty large closet getting to be almost 3 feet high with toys and clothes.  My friends would always make jokes about it and I wished I could be an organized person.

My real problem stems from the fact that I can't throw anything away.  Everything seems to have sentimental value to me (yes, I sound like the hoarder people).  I've started purging many areas of my life and I actually am MUCH more organized, but my clothes have always been tough for me to give up.  I can't totally explain why.

When I was living in Tulsa, Kaylee (the most amazing purger on the planet) came over and went through my closet with me.  We got rid of bags and bags and bags.  I really haven't done a humongous purge since.  I did get rid of a few bags full before we moved, but I knew I needed to get rid of more.  Today ended up being the day.  Maria, another purging queen, came over this morning and spent over two hours with me going through my closet, drawers and bins.  It was so hard, but so worth it.  I spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning it all up and sorting it all.

I really do feel like a new woman.  De-cluttering and simplifying can be so therapeutic.  I also know that Mark is going to be so happy.  He HATED sharing a closet with me.  I had so much stuff I just didn't know what to do with it all.  So far I am getting rid of:

30 sweaters
28 tank tops
6 t-shirts
5 skirts
2 cropped jeans
6 cropped pants
1 pair of jeans
1 pair of shorts
2 sweater vests
2 pairs of pants
6 button up shirts
4 pajama/workout pants
13 dresses
16 sleeveless tops
6 blouses
19 shirts
2 suits
5 blazers
1 jacket
10 belts
4 pairs of boots

I still have 4 bins of pants, jeans and skirts to go through, but I was pretty worn out and decided to put that off for another day...probably tomorrow.  I also need to go through my shoes.

I wish I would have taken a before picture of the closet, although it would have been way too embarrassing.  I can show you a picture of our room during the process today (equally embarrassing).

 Where's Rosie?  My formerly clean room during the madness.  
 Doesn't it all make you a bit overwhelmed?  I thought I might loose it halfway in, but I pushed through!
The finished product! 
 This is Mark's meticulously organized side.  I'm so jealous of this guy's skills!
 My new and improved side.  It doesn't look amazing, but it's so much better. 
 These are the four dreaded bins that I have to work on tomorrow. 
A different angle.  

Anyway, I couldn't be happier to have it pretty much done.  I am also forever indebted to Maria for her help.  

No comments: