Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Our Trip (Part 1)

So, I figured I would tell you about our trip in a few different installments.  I hate to do one crazy long post, although I've been known to do that kind of thing before.  

The first leg of the trip to my parents' house went very well and was pretty uneventful.  The girls did awesome.  In fact, Kiki only woke up twice to eat during the whole 14 hours.  It sure was long, though and we didn't end up arriving until about 4 am our time.  The early hour didn't seem to affect the girls though, and they were up and at em' by 8 am!  Isn't that always the way!  

Stephen and Michelle came over and we had fun catching up.  We then headed to one of our favorite food spots in Tulsa, Desi Wok.   Tami and Kamryn met us there.  Later that evening, we went to Stephen's Church, South Tulsa Adventist Fellowship for their Candlelight Service.  They had a few different people sing, read poems, etc.  On kind of a funny note, there was one fellow that got up and sang a song acapella.  He mentioned that he had written the song and it was very special to him.  When he started to sing, Mark and I just looked at each other.  He was singing the song Overjoyed by Stevie Wonder only he kept adding the word Jesus in different places.  He changed the name of his rendition to Castles.  He had a nice voice, but it was hard not to laugh.

Michelle and I sang our song and it went well.  I always enjoy singing with both Stephen and Michelle.  We cut out of the program a little early so that we could get the girls to sleep.  We were all so exhausted when we got home.  The next day was Sabbath, so we really wanted the girls to be well rested for Church.  It was going to be a full day because we were having the dedication and then after Church we were having family portraits done since we would be all dressed up in our red and black.  I had a weary feeling about how that was going to go since I knew pictures would be happening about when Monroe's naptime was.  Well, I had reason to worry, but more on that later.  

The dedication went great.  It was so sweet because the ladies of the Church made Kiki the cutest quilt.  We will always treasure it.  Isn't it great?!  



After church, the picture taking began, and Monroe turned from sweet little lady into demon child.  She was HORRIBLE and to be honest, that might be too positive of a word for her behavior.  This was the look she had on her face for most of the pictures.  


She was crying and moaning and throwing herself on the ground.  I was completely mortified.  It didn't help that I was exhausted, too.  I found myself tearing up and getting overwhelmed by the whole thing.  All of the other cousins were perfect.  Granted all of the other cousins aren't toddlers.  I have to give myself that one allowance.  I guess I was just sad that my family had to see Monroe like that and that the pictures were compromised because of her naughtiness.  She is normally so sweet and easy going.  Oh, well.  You can't win them all.    

Lunch was no better.  She gave me fits through the whole thing.  I knew she was completely spent, so Mark and I took the girls home for naps instead of going to hear my brother Shane perform at his church for a special Christmas service.  I was sad to miss it, but I knew I couldn't keep Rosie out in public any longer.  

I'm not sure how the professional pictures came out, but these are a few that Michelle's sister, Melissa and Mark took for me on my camera. 

 My Family 
Vivi and Keekster...She was out cold. 

 The Cousins 
 Stephen and Michelle
 Vivi, Scott, and Xander 
 Papa and Keeks
 
Papa and Kamryn 

Sadly, we weren't able to get pictures done of our little family because, well, I guess it's obvious.  

On Saturday evening, Dad made his famous Tomato Florentine Soup and Xander and Vivi opened their gifts because they weren't going to be with us on Christmas.  It was a low key Christmas Eve, but that's just what we needed after such a trying day.

So, I better head to bed.  I'll work on another installment tomorrow if I have some free time.  We are headed for a play date tomorrow morning and then tomorrow evening after Zumba, I am going to singing practice with a few girls from Church.  We are going to see how we sound and if it's good enough to lead song service.  Anyway, love to you all.  Good Night!


No comments: